- 10 yellow or white corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar or a good Mexican white is preferred)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped firm, ripe tomato
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
Recipe by Chef Grady Spears.
- Cut tortillas into 1 x 2-inch rectangles. Pour oil into a large skillet to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches. Heat over medium-high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, fry tortilla pieces, stirring to keep them from sticking together. Before they are crisp, transfer the chips to a platter covered with paper towels to drain. Set aside.
- Discard about half the oil, return pan to heat, and add eggs. Season with salt and pepper, and stir constantly. As eggs begin to set, add tortilla chips and continue to stir, scraping the bottom of the pan. When the eggs reach a soft scramble, fold in cheese, followed by onion, tomato and jalapeños.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: