- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 -- butternut or acorn squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 (28-oz) cans chopped tomatoes, reduced-sodium
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup (about 2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or fresh basil
- To prepare sauce, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and next 5 ingredients (bell peppers through oregano). Cook 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer until butternut squash is tender, about 20 minutes. For a smooth sauce, purée all ingredients in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare meatballs, mix all ingredients in a bowl; add some water if mixture is dry. Shape into 12 balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes, until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Serve with about half the sauce over spaghetti, if desired.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.