- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup finely grated semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups grated coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites, unbeaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture to prevent curdling when liquid is added. Gradually add milk, mixing well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly. Beat in remaining flour mixture. Gradually stir in chocolate and coconut. Divide batter between cake pans. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- To prepare custard, Combine sugar and flour. Heat milk in saucepan; stir in flour mixture. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute. Stir half the milk mixture yolks, then pour back into hot milk mixture in pan. Cook until thicken. Let cool and add vanilla.
- To prepare frosting, place all ingredients except vanilla in top of double boiler (not over heat); beat 1 minute to blend. Place over boiling water and cook, beating constantly until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes (don't overcook). Remove from boiling water. Pour into mixing bowl, if you wish. Add vanilla and beat until frosting is spreading consistency, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a plate. Top with custard filling. Place second layer on top. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake. Garnish with grated chocolate if desired.
Diana Cyert, Winona, Minn.