- 1 cup sweet rice (sometimes labeled “sushi rice” or “sticky rice”)
- 2 1/2 cups coconut water (such as Goya or Zico)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 piece star anise (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios (optional)
- Combine rice and 1/2 cup coconut water in a saucepan. Let stand at least 20 minutes (but no more than an hour). Do not drain.
- Meanwhile, peel mango and cut into halves lengthwise around seed. Cut halves vertically into fans and set aside.
- Add remaining coconut water and star anise, if using, to pan; bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, partially covered, 10 minutes. Cover completely and set aside until cool. Spoon rice onto plates. Place mango fans alongside rice and dust with crushed pistachios, if using.
Notes: If using slightly under-ripe mangoes, cut into fans ahead of time. Heat coconut water until just before boiling. Immerse mango fans in hot coconut water 20 seconds; remove and gently pat dry. Cover and let cool. Let coconut water cool completely before reusing to prepare rice.