- 2/3 cup jarred salsa
- 1/3 cup diced jicama
- 3 medium (1 1/2 pounds total) zucchini
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- /4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon plus pinches kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- To prepare chunky salsa, combine salsa and jicama in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare zucchini, trim ends and cut squash lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp with a spoon leaving a 1/4-inch thick shell. Fill a large skillet with 1/2-inch water; add squash, cut sides up. Working in batches, cover skillet and bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently blanch 5 minutes or until barely tender. Remove squash from pan, drain well and blot with paper towels. Transfer to a greased shallow baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add green pepper and onion; cook, mixing occasionally, 7 minutes or until tender. Remove pan from heat; add rice, beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin and 3/4 teaspoon salt; mix to combine.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt into each zucchini shell and fill with rice mixture (about 1/3 cup per squash), packing lightly; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with Chunky Salsa.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
Videos You Might Also Like
The recipe was originally published as Stuffed Zucchini with Red Beans, Rice and Chunky Salsa on Relish.com