- 4 firm, ripe tomatoes, about 8 ounces each (3-inch diameter)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgir olive oil
- Cut a thin slice off top of each tomato. Separate pulp from shell with a serrated knife and scoop out pulp with a spoon. Sprinkle inside of each tomato with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, onion and red pepper. Saute 9 minutes, or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender. Remove pan from heat; add panko, basil, cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mix with a large spoon to combine.
- Spoon mixture into tomatoes (about 1/2 cup per tomato); transfer to a greased pie plate or shallow baking dish and spoon 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over each. Bake 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.