- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups cooked, mashed butternut squash (1 medium squash)
- 12 no-boil lasagna
- 4 cups torn turnip greens, blanched
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare sauce, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, vinegar and crushed pepper. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- To prepare lasagna, combine ricotta cheese, egg, ½ cup provolone cheese and mashed squash; stir well.
- Spoon a small amount of tomato sauce into bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Layer 4 uncooked noodles, turnip greens, 3/4 cup provolone, half the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1/3 of the remaining sauce. Add 4 more lasagna noodles, top with half the remaining tomato sauce, the remaining 3/4 cup provolone, and remaining ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 4 more noodles, remaining tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until top is browned.
Note: To cook the butternut squash, slice in half and place cut sides down in a roasting pan. Add water up to 1-inch. Bake 45 minutes, or until tender, at 375F. Scoop out pulp and mash.
Videos You Might Also Like