- 2 cups green or yellow split peas, rinsed and soaked in cold water 2 to 3 hours
- 1 -- (14-ounce) can light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup finely sliced cilantro stems
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups chopped red potato, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 -- limes, cut into wedges
- Drain peas, place in a large saucepan and add 4 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Peas should be whole, but tender.
- Combine coconut milk, onion, ginger, cilantro stems, curry paste and celery in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes; simmer until potatoes are almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add peas, fish sauce and salt. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.