- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 8 ounces fresh baby spoon spinach
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 (8-ounce) tube prepared polenta, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and Third Thursday Potluck
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Stir spinach, thyme, nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Cook until spinach wilts.
- Spread mixture evenly over bottom of a 2-quart casserole.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour, and cook over medium-high heat. Add broth and cream and whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper and pour over spinach.
- Arrange polenta slices on top of spinach and sauce in overlapping concentric circles, pressing to submerge polenta slightly. Sprinkle shredded cheeses over polenta. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and preheat broiler.
- Uncover polenta and broil 6 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: