- 1 (2 1/2- pound) beef tenderloin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup brandy or red wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Rosemary sprigs
- Butterfly beef with a sharp, thin bladed knife, by cutting lengthwise down center of tenderloin; open like a book. Cover with parchment and pound until beef is about ¼-inch thick.
- Stir together olive oil and garlic. Brush beef with half the garlic oil. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Arrange cheese and spinach over entire surface of beef. Carefully roll meat lengthwise into a long slender roll. Using kitchen twine, tie to secure.
- Mix together salt, sage and chopped rosemary and rub into surface of meat. Combine remaining garlic oil and butter in a Dutch oven or deep skillet; place over medium heat. Add beef, turning to brown all sides.
- Add brandy and sprigs of rosemary to pan and allow brandy to reduce. Pour in beef broth. Continue to cook, turning and basting with pan juices about 30 minutes for rare (140F) or longer for desired doneness. Remove from pan. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir cornstarch into pan drippings and cook until thickened about 10 minutes. Remove twine and slice.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: