- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, roasted and mashed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large onion. chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28-ounce) Italian plum tomatoes, undrained
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 1/2 cup tsakistes or best-quality green olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- Fresh parsley, dill and mint, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
Recipe by Chef Michael Psilakis.
- To prepare meatballs, combine pork and next 10 ingredients (pork though mustard) in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, soak bread in milk until saturated. Remove bread from milk, squeezing to drain off extra milk. Add bread and excess milk to meat mixture; mix well. Shape mixture into 24 (golf ball size) meatballs. Dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add meatballs; cook until brown on all sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add oil, sliced garlic and onions to pan; sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add wine; stir to loosen brown bits. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Add broths and tomatoes. Stir, breaking up tomatoes a bit. Add bay leaf. Simmer 30 minutes. Add meatballs to sauce. Cook 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add olives, fresh herbs, if desired, and oregano. Stir to combine.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: