- 12 ounces dried black turtle beans (about 2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 to 2 cup grape tomato halves
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour. Drain beans and return to pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, but not mushy, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain beans and discard cooking water.
- Place garlic in a small bowl and microwave on high 30 seconds.
- Place beans in a food processor with garlic, peanut butter, cumin, salt, lime juice, chipotle chile, olive oil and water. Process until smooth, adding more water if necessary to purée completely. Scrape into a bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour for flavors to meld. Sprinkle tomato on top.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: