- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- 4 pounds tart apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Cinnamon-sugar (optional)
Recipe by Mary Carter.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare the crust, mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir gently and gather into two balls, one about twice as large as the other.
- Roll out larger ball on a lightly floured surface until it is large enough to cover the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan, with about 2 inches of overhang. Roll the smaller dough ball into a 9-inch circle.
- To prepare the filling, combine apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt; toss well. Spoon into prepared crust. Sprinkle pieces of butter on top. Place top crust over filling. Fold overhang evenly around the top crust. Cut 10 to 12 slits in top crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar if desired. Bake about 1 hour or until crust is deep golden and the filling oozes through the slits.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: