- 1 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 packages (.25-ounce) dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 2/3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon mixed with 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
- Combine milk and 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan and heat until butter melts. Pour into a large bowl and stir in oats. Let stand about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water, and let stand 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt and yeast mixture to oat mixture. Stir well.
- Stir in whole-wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time. Turn dough out onto a clean, floured surface; knead in remaining all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until smooth and pliable. Knead about 6 minutes. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in it. Cover and let rise 1 to 11/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- To prepare the filling, combine cranberries and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and cranberries start to pop. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Coat two 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. When the dough has risen, punch it down; divide into two equal parts.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter. Roll out one portion of dough into a 12-by-16-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar, stopping 3⁄4 inch from edges. Spread with half the cranberry filling, stopping 3/4 inch from edges.
- Roll dough up, starting on one of the short sides. Pinch seams together at both ends; tuck ends under slightly. Place loaf, seam side down, into prepared pan. Repeat for second loaf.
- Cover loaves and let rise until doubled in bulk, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake 35 minutes or until bread is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven, let stand in pans 5 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on racks 30 minutes.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: