- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup condensed milk
- 1/3 cup California raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 (9-inch) ready-made pie dough, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Flour for dusting
- Chocolate syrup for dipping (optional)
Recipe by Ericka Sancez from Nibbles and Feasts
- In a large saucepan, place the rice with the water, cinnamon stick and salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Stir in milks and continue cooking for approximately 5 more minutes. Add raisins and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Grease baking sheet.
- Roll out pie dough on a floured surface to a 12-inch circle in diameter. Cut out 3-inch circles with the rim of a small bowl. Place 1 1/2 heaping tablespoons of arroz con leche (rice pudding) and a teaspoon (or pinch of coconut) in the center of each dough circle. Brush edges with egg; fold in half and crimp edges with fork to seal.
- Place empanadas on prepared baking sheet; brush with egg.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with a side of chocolate syrup for dipping. Makes 9 empanadas.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: