- 2 cups fresh shelled purple hull peas
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small ham hock
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5-ounce) bag arugula or other salad greens
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
Adapted from the Emerson, Ark., Purple Hull Pea Festival
- Combine peas, broth and ham hock in large saucepan or Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are barely tender, about 20 minutes. (Do not overcook; peas should still be al dente.) Let peas cool in stock. (Peas will continue to cook as they cool.) When cool, drain peas in colander and refrigerate until ready to assemble salad.
- Combine garlic, vinegar, sugar, mustard and pepper in deep glass bowl. Whisk in olive oil. Remove about 1/4 of the dressing to a glass jar. Add peas to bowl and toss to combine. Add salt.
- Divide arugula among 6 salad plates, and arrange 2 or 3 tomato slices on the side. Using a slotted spoon, place peas on plate. Scatter onion and basil over salad. Serve with additional black pepper and pass remaining vinaigrette.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: