- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vinegar
- Cold water
Recipe by Chef Chris Koetke
- Combine flour and salt. Add shortening and cut it into the flour salt mixture using a pastry blender, two knives (or your hands), until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine eggs, sugar, vinegar and enough cold water to make 1/2 cup.
- Combine liquid with flour mixture. Mix just enough to combine.
- Form into 2 balls; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- When rolling the dough, sprinkle and spread a minimum amount of flour (a pie cloth is ideal) on the rolling surface and roll when the dough is cold.
- 6. Place crusts in pie pans. trim and crimp edges.
- To "blind bake" pie crusts, place parchment paper in the bottom of pie crusts. Place pie weights or dried beans on top of paper. Place in oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until firm. Remove from oven; remove weights and paper. Return crusts to oven and bake 5 minutes longer, until light golden. Let cool 5 minutes before adding filling.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: