- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (14-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Drain whole tomatoes, reserving juice. Cut tomatoes into halves and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and brown sugar. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake 90 minutes, or until browned.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add green onion, carrot, garlic and cumin. Cook 10 minutes, covered. Add roasted tomatoes, reserved juice, stewed tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Mash with a potato masher or blend with an immersion blender until partially smoother. (You can also transfer to a food processor and blend until partially smooth, then return to pan.) Add cream and additional salt and sugar to taste. Serve with Monterey Jack cheese.
Want more help? Watch Relish Editor Jill Melton and the kids make this soup.