- 1 3/4 sticks butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 0.6 ounce saffron threads
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 6 packages (0.25-ounce) yeast
- 1 cup 2 percent low-fat milk, warm
- 2 eggs, beaten separately
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup water
Recipe by Brett Jocelyn Epstein.
- Combine melted butter and cream.
- Crush saffron with 1 tablespoon sugar in a mortar until very fine.
- Combine yeast, milk and 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand 10 minutes or until mixture is foamy.
- Add butter mixture, saffron mixture, 1 of the beaten eggs and salt to yeast mixture. Stir well. Add remaining sugar. Add 6 cups flour; stir until a stiff dough forms. Turn mixture out onto a floured surface; knead about 10 minutes, adding additional flour 1/2 cup at a time, until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a large bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Boil water and pour over raisins; let sit until raisins are plump.
- Preheat the oven to 475F. Knead dough and divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into an S shape. Place 2 raisins at ends of buns. Let rise 1 hour. Brush with remaining beaten egg. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until browned.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: