- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon chopped ham or pancetta
- 1 -- onion, finely chopped
- 1 -- carrot, finely chopped
- 1 -- celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1 can (15-ounce) whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
—Recipe by Tracey Ceurvels
- Heat 1 cup beef broth. Add mushrooms and soak until softened.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until brown on all sides. Transfer meat to a plate. Add ham, onion, carrot and celery to pan. Cook, stirring, until onions are golden.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf, sage, parsley, tomato paste and wine. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- Add meat, tomatoes, porcini mushrooms, mushroom soaking liquid and remaining 2 cups of beef broth. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until meat is tender. Turn meat over halfway through cooking time.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with vegetables and juice.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: