- 1 pound flank steak
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow, orange or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 12 basil leaves, shredded
- 1 large round loaf peasant bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups) and lightly toasted
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.
- Prepare grill.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Grill 10 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- Combine onion, garlic, lemon rind, vinegar, remaining salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add oil in a stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, olives and basil.
- Cut steak into thin slices. Add to tomato mixture.
- Add bread cubes 30 to 45 minutes before serving, tossing to coat. Let stand at room temperature. Serves 8.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: