- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced (1 tablespoon, rounded)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh field peas (substitute frozen black-eyed peas or lima beans)
- 2 cups chopped collard, mustard or turnip greens (packed)
- 8 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
Recipe by Sara Foster, author of
- Place olive oil a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion, red pepper, jalapeno pepper and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and 1 teaspoon salt and thyme and cook, stirring until rice is coated all over. Add broth and stir only once to mix. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and greens and continue to cook, covered, 10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed, peas are tender and rice is fluffy. Remove from heat stir in basil and black pepper. Serve warm topped with the tomatoes and green onions.
Sara Foster's Southern Kitchen.
Videos You Might Also Like