- 3 1/2-pound eggplants, trimmed, peeled if desired
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach or torn mixed greens
- 6 6-inch pitas, warmed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Prepare grill.
- Slice eggplants crosswise into 1/2-inch discs.
- Stir together vinegar and soy sauce. Divide mixture between two small bowls. In one bowl, add peanut butter; stir well. In second bowl, stir in ginger, peanut oil and crushed red pepper, if using.
- Brush ginger mixture on both sides of eggplant slices.
- Grill over medium heat until just softened and slightly charred, about 5 minutes per side, brushing occasionally with ginger mixture.
- Layer eggplant and spinach over each pita. Add cilantro and peanuts. Drizzle with peanut butter mixture.
Recipe by David Feder.