- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons Asian fishsauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 (12-inch long) light, crisp French baguettes
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced in 3-inch spears
- 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro springs
—Recipe by Laraine Perri
- To prepare chicken marinade, combine lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, oil, soy sauce, garlic and pepper in a zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat chicken well. Refrigerate 2 hours, turning once.
- To prepare carrots, combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a wide, shallow bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add carrots. Toss well and set aside at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Heat a grill pan to medium.
- Remove chicken from marinade, and grill until thoroughly cooked, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes. Drain carrots.
- Slice baguettes lengthwise and bake, cut sides up, 2 minutes, until just warm and lightly crisp. Spread mayonnaise mixture over cut sides of baguettes. Slice chicken and arrange over bottom halves of baguettes. Top with carrots, cucumber and jalapenos. Sprinkle cilantro sprigs on top. Close sandwiches and slice in half.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: