- 2 cups dried Great Northern beans
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and tender green parts (2 bunches)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour. Drain beans and return to pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, but not mushy, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain beans, reserving some cooking water. Return beans to pan.
- Place bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove and set aside, leaving bacon drippings in pan. Add olive oil to skillet. Add leeks and garlic; saute 10 minutes. Add to beans. Crumble bacon and add to beans with salt and pepper. Add cooking water if beans seem dry. Serve hot.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: