- 1 cup stale French bread cubes, crusts removed
- Cold water
- 3 cups diced peeled tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup Green bell peppers, diced
- 2/3 cup peeled and diced English or other cucumber
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- Minced green bell pepper and cucumber slices, for garnish
- In a small bowl cover bread with water; let stand 5 minutes or until bread is soft. Squeeze out water.
- In a processor, combine bread, tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion and garlic; process to a coarse purée. Pour into a large bowl; stir in tomato juice, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and chill 4 hours or until cold. Ladle into bowls and garnish with minced pepper and cucumber.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.