- 1 medium fennel bulb, with stems and leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- -- Shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Trim fronds off fennel and cut off all but 3-inches of stalks. Peel bulb and cut with remaining stalks into irregular pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel and onion; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned.
- Add fennel seeds, eggplant and bell pepper; cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and garlic; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, wine and salt. Cover and reduce heat; simmer until tomatoes just begin to break up, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in basil and black pepper. Top with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, if using.
Recipe by David Feder.