- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
—Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon
- Preheat oven to 300F. Coat bottom only of a 9-inch square pan or 9-inch tube pan with cooking spray. If using a tube pan with a removable bottom, wrap outside of pan with foil to prevent leaks.
- Combine flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening to make a crumbly mixture. Scoop out ¼ cup and set aside.
- Add egg and molasses to flour mixture and stir. Combine buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir well (there will still be a few lumps). Pour into prepared pan; sprinkle reserved flour mixture evenly over top.
- Bake 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 350F and continue baking 18 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: