- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28-oz)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes or until carrots are wilted. Add broth and undrained tomatoes; stir to combine. Cover, increase heat and bring to a simmer; uncover, adjust heat and simmer briskly 10 minutes.
- Blend with immersion blender, food processor, blender or potato masher to desired consistency. Return to pot; stir in cream, sugar and vinegar, if using and heat thoroughly. Makes about 6 cups.
Want more help? Watch Relish Editor Jill Melton and the kids make this soup.