- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups egg whites, at room temperature (about 10 eggs)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange rind
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 375F.
To make the cake, sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat egg whites in a large bowl until foamy; add salt and cream of tartar and vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating until just blended. Fold flour mixture into egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, using a rubber spatula.
Beat egg yolks with orange rind, orange juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until thick and light. Stir 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
Scrape yellow and white batters into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan to give a marbled effect with white layer on top. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until done. Invert pan; let cool. Remove cake from pan.
To prepare frosting, combine butter, salt, orange rind and 1 cup powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add remaining sugar and orange juice alternately, beating until smooth and spreadable. Beat in lemon juice. Frost top and sides of cake.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: