- 1 cup channa dal or yellow split peas, well rinsed
- 8 cups water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Soak dal in 4 cups water for 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine turmeric, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add dal; cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and cook until peas are very soft, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet. Add cumin seeds. When they sizzle (about 30 seconds), add onion; sauté until brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir into dal. Add salt and cream; mix well.
Recipe by Monica Bhide.