- 8 (about 2 ounces) dried mild red chilies, such as Ancho or Cascabel, seeded and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Break chilies into large pieces; toast in a large dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 20 seconds. Add broth and scrape pan to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in chilies, oregano, cumin and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and cook until chilies are very soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a blender; process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl and refrigerate. When cool, cover with plastic wrap.
- Just before serving, add sour cream and honey and stir with a whisk.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: