- 3 medium ears fresh corn
- 1 (4-ounce) piece unsliced bacon, rind discarded and bacon diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Minced fresh chives or thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
- Cut kernels off cobs and scrape off milky bits. You should have about 2 cups corn.
- In a large pot cook bacon until crisp. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat. Add butter, onion, bell pepper, thyme, cumin and turmeric; cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally. Add corn, potatoes, broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Adjust heat and boil 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook until chowder is lightly thickened.
- Stir in cream. Garnish with chives or green onions.
50 Chowders by Jasper White (Scribner).
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: