- 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts or almonds, finely ground
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 ounces non-dairy bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons hot coffee
- 4 egg whites
- Nondairy whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously spread margarine over bottom and 1 1/2 inches up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Reserve 1 or 2 tablespoons of the ground nuts. Sprinkle remaining nuts evenly in pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup granulated sugar until slightly thickened. At low speed, beat in the melted chocolate. Dissolve espresso powder or coffee crystals in the 2 tablespoons of hot coffee. Stir into chocolate mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Spread evenly in springform pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until set. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes. (Center will dip on cooling and crust edges will be crumbly.)
- Using a thin metal spatula, loosen torte from the sides of the pan. Remove the sides ; let torte cool completely. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 24 hours. (If chilled, allow torte to stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.)
- To serve, garnish torte with nondairy whipped topping and strawberries. Cut torte into wedges and place on dessert plates.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: