- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white part only) or onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 (16-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2/3 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons pickled jalapeno
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 to 8 cups chopped kale (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Sour cream
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add cumin, cumin seed and turkey sausage.
- Cook until sausage is browned. Add chopped chicken, barley, beans, jalapeño, broth and kale, if desired.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes or until barley is cooked. Serve topped with cheese and green onions.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: