- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cubed, or country-style ribs, cut into big cubes—do not trim fat
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup orange juice
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and the Thursday Thursday Potluck
- Place pork into a non-reactive bowl or container. Sprinkle salt, granulated garlic and red pepper flakes over meat. Add orange juice. Mix well, so the marinade coats all the pieces. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat a large heavy-duty pot or Dutch oven. Add marinated pork and liquids. Add about 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat 2 hours. Skim off foam that accumulates at the top, but otherwise do not disturb the meat.
- After 2 hours, increase heat to boil off liquid. This should take about 45 minutes. Occasionally stir meat so that it doesn’t stick and burn at the bottom of the pot. The meat will begin to break apart and will brown in the rendered fat—which is the key to this recipe. The result is tender juicy carnitas.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: