- 3 cups chopped, peeled butternut squash
- 1 large (or 2 medium) poblano peppers, cut into halves, seeds and stem removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 banana peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry beans (kidney, black or pinto) presoaked
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Spread squash and poblano peppers on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast about 20 minutes, until squash is browned and pepper skins are blistered. Let cool. Remove pepper skins. Chop peppers and set aside with squash.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, banana peppers, jalapeño and garlic. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; cook until onion is translucent. Add dry beans; stir until coated. Pour in water, covering beans by at least 2 inches. Add roasted poblano. Simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours, adding more liquid as necessary. When beans are tender, add squash, allspice and cumin. Serves 8.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: