- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (white and light green parts)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 8 cups coarsely cut broccoli florets and thinly sliced peeled stems (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Fontina or Gruyère cheese
—Recipe by Jean Kressy
- Melt butter in Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add leek and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leek is softened, about 6 minutes. Add broccoli, broth and water; mix to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return to pot; stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper and heat until hot. Stir in cheese. Makes about 7 cups.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: