- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 medium onions, vertically sliced
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1/2 pound salt pork or country ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
Recipe by Jean Kressy
- Place beans in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover by about 1 inch. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day drain and rinse beans. Place in a large pot and cover with 2 quarts cold water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until shells crack. Drain, reserving cooking water.
- Preheat oven to 250F. Place onions in bottom of a 2 ½ -quart bean pot or casserole dish and add beans. In a large bowl, combine molasses, sugar, mustard and about 1 ½ cups cooking water and pour over beans. Add more cooking water if needed to cover beans. Place salt pork on top and tuck in slightly. Cover and bake 7 to 8 hours. Check occasionally and add more of the reserved bean cooking water as necessary to keep beans covered.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: