- 9 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 7 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bena
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butter
- 18 ounces valrhona chocolate (61%), chopped
- 9 1/2 ounces Ibarra chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
Recipe by Executive Chef Chris Mortenson of La Condesa in St. Helena, Calif.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter 8 (8-ounce) ramekins.
- Beat eggs, yolks and 7 1/2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until tripled in volume.
- Combine water, 1 1/2 cups sugar, vanilla bean seeds and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add butter. Whisk until butter is melted. Add chopped chocolate; whisking until melted. Remove from heat and stir in spices. Let cool slightly.
- Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg foam, taking care not to deflate eggs.
- Spoon batter into ramkins. Place ramekins in a large baking dish. Place dish on oven rack. Fill dish with hot water, to 1-inch below tops of ramekins. Bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven and water bath and let cool slightly. Serve warm.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: