- 1 pound black turtle beans
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 whole serrano chiles or 1 jalapeño chile (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 4 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse beans. Place beans in a large bowl or Dutch oven. Cover with water by several inches. Let soak overnight.
- Place bacon, onion and carrot in a Dutch oven. Cook until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Drain beans and add to pan. Add whole chiles, bay leaves, cumin, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour. Uncover and simmer until beans are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves and chiles.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: