- 1 1/2 pounds regular bulk pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 (4-oz) cans diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 (8 to 10-inch) corn-flour tortillas (such as Chi-Chi's Cafe Style)
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sliced pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Sliced black olives (optional)
- 12 eggs, fried
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- Place sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain sausage; remove from pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to same pan. Add onion, jalapeño and garlic. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add green chiles, cumin, cooked sausage, water and Tabasco. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 11/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until very little liquid remains.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring, until golden, about 4 minutes. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to sausage mixture, stirring to blend well. Cook over medium heat until very thick and smooth, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Coat two 13 x 9-inch baking dishes with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup sauce on each tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in a pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Sprinkle with pickled jalapeños and olives, if using. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- To serve, place one filled tortilla on each plate. Top with a fried egg and garnish with sour cream and tomatoes. Pass additional hot sauce at the table.
Recipe by Bim Glasgow
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: