- 1/2 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 (12-ounce) package mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, reduced-sodium beef broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped Swiss chard (optional)
—Recipe by Jean Kressy
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add beef and sauté until brown. Add onion and carrots; cook, mixing occasionally, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, mixing occasionally, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add barley, broth, water, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in Swiss chard, if using, and cook 5 minutes. Makes about 6 cups.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: