- 1 pound dried navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Rinse and drain beans. Combine them in a large pot with ham hock and water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally and add more water as necessary.
- Remove ham hock; when cool, remove and discard skin, bone and fat. Cut meat into small pieces and return to soup.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned. Add onion, salt and pepper to soup and stir, pressing down with the back of a large spoon to break up some of the beans and thicken soup.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: