- 2 pounds eggplant
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced (or 1 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Black pepper
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Sliced eggplants lengthwise, about 1/2-inch thick. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. After 30 minutes, dab them dry.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil and roast 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until translucent. Add diced tomatoes, nutmeg, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Continue sautéing until ingredients meld into a chunky sauce.
- Layer eggplant and sauce in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with cheese. Bake until sauce is thoroughly heated and cheese is browned and bubbly.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: