- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- -- Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- To prepare cake, combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Combine banana and buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture. Stir in nuts. Scrape batter into prepare pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, combine butter with 1 cup powdered sugar; mix well. Combine banana and lemon juice. Add to butter mixture alternately with remaining powdered sugar. Frost top of one cake layer. Place second layer on top and frost sides and top. (If frosting seems too soft, chill for a short time.
Testers’ notes: Increase the frosting by half if you like a thicker coating.
Recipe by Mamie L. ChristophersonR