- Cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (plus additional 2 tablespoons, divided)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 pound phyllo dough (about 40 9 x 14-inch sheets)
- 3/4 cup clarified butter
Recipe by Nina Tashchian, Nina’s Bakery, Fresno, Calif.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Dissolve 1 3/4 cups sugar in the water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and bring to boil again. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Add rose water if using.
- Combine walnuts and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Open phyllo dough and spread it out. Place 2 sheets of dough on baking sheet. Cover remaining phyllo with a damp cloth to keep from drying. Liberally brush the top of the two sheets with butter. Place 2 more sheets on top; brush with butter. Repeat until half the dough is used. Spread walnut mixture over dough.
- Place 2 sheets of dough over walnut mixture. Brush top with butter. Repeat until remaining dough sheets are used. Be sure to brush the top layer with butter. Cut baklava into 4 strips (2 1/4 inches wide x 14 inches long), dipping the knife into water between cuts. Cut each strip into 4 rectangles (2 1/4 inches wide x 3 1/2 inches long). Cut each rectangle into halves diagonally.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Drizzle sugar syrup over baklava and serve. Makes 32 pieces.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: