- 6 large apples, peeled, sliced in ¼-inch slices (Fuji, Gala, Delicious), about 2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 ounces cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
Recipe by Chef Steve Petusevsky
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine apples, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, almond extract, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cranberry juice, cranberries and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until fruit is softened but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse to form coarse crumbs.
- Combine breadcrumbs, walnuts, oats, butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl, working mixture with your fingers to blend. Sprinkle over apples and bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: